The experienced know. It takes the best soils, healthy pastures, grasses and brassica, fine breedings, seasons and a cold climate, farm-wide year-round well water working in tandem with fencing, and top equipment (e.g., truck-mounted, engine-driven large bale hay grinder, a computerized distribution box for mixing and distributing rows of feed); the North Country’s only heated, air-driven, full service shop, (a custom 4-wheel-drive service truck that brings our shop to the field), roofed, well-lit cattle sheds and the high tech squeeze chute; an informed, ethical, dedicated client, great vendors and the professional consultant, an efficient and quiet slaughter, a top flight cut room with dry aging, and—most of all—an inspired farm manager, herdsman, and loyal staff for a well-financed, well-managed, ethical livestock farm to reach potential and scale.
Lewis Family Farm seeks the experienced to get us there, to keep us there, to share in our future.
We are building a vital, small team with the following capabilities:
- A farm manager/leader willing to learn; willing to train and share, with growth in mind.
- A herdsman experienced in management-intensive grazing and animal science/herd health.
- Skill in care and use of farm machinery, plant and equipment (we outsource mechanical service for trailers and all mechanized equipment with most work performed on site).
We seek the farm family to grow our USDA-certified grass-fed, organic stock to serve our clients (including FreshDirect and Deerfield Academy) and to develop and scale existing capabilities.
See The Cow Whisperer on TEDx at The New York Times, with the CEO of FreshDirect: www.tinyurl.com/ky7m5fz
- Salary and bonus to match experience, proven ability, willingness, client satisfaction and results, respectively.
- Large, new, comfortable, family-friendly, WiFi-equipped on-farm residences for manager and family, for select staff with family.
- Fine nearby schools.
Interested parties may contact Richard Brantley Ivey of Grayson Natural Farms
(www.graysonnatural.com/contact-us) to learn more or for a reference.
We require a resume, references and an essay.
Other contact information
Lewis Family Farm, Inc.
1212 Whallons Bay Road
Essex, New York 12936